NET NEUTRALITY IS NOTHING BUT SOFT CENSORSHIP
You might recall the vigorous debate with regard to Net Neutrality in the recent past. For the benefit of the novice in the field, let’s know what the net neutrality means. The Net Neutrality allows the Internet Service Provider (ISP) to treat all the data on similar line without any discrimination and without charging differently for accessing a certain specific website or any online content. In this scenario, the ISP can impose the speed of the content provided by them and accessed by the user.
The action of the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) for the Net Neutrality enables the ISP to charge an additional “fees” from the affluent websites for faster service. Therefore, the wealthy websites would be in a position to influence the ISP for quicker access.
- Resultant Effects
In the process, the small fish like the start-ups and the mediocre information sources would be at a disadvantageous position. As the cable company offers the channels of his choice, the ISP also has an option to identify, which website can be accessed. That the high traffic on the specific website would throttle the speed need not be specified by the ISP. The ISP gleaning the browsing history of the user for tweaking the data to his advantage and even to share the data to the website who is ready to pay the highest fee, cannot be ruled out.
- Brain Drain
It is a fact that the net neutrality is a disincentive for the talent since the cost of the internet is higher for doing less. You are rather creating a hostile environment for the talented technical professionals since the appeasement, and the high fee are ruling the roost.
- Limited Bandwidth
The statutory and regulatory authorities prioritize the bandwidth keeping in view the importance and necessity of the internet facility. The regulation and prioritization also is driven to protect the legitimate and legal reasons. With all this, the censorship of the website usage is likely to become more daisy and slippery because the highest bidder is in a position to dictate the terms.
- Probable Solution
The Virtual Private Network (VPN) technology has a pivotal role to play in countering the net neutrality. The VPN like a private Wi-Fi can block the ISP from peeking into the browsing history and prevent them from sharing the data for a fee. Though the ISP might think of blocking the VPN or throttle the VPN traffic, it is unlikely because of the substantial business houses using the VPN for security purposes.
In conclusion, there is no solution to the problem and the injustice cannot be eliminated completely. The alternatives what we are grappling at will only reduce the severity of the infliction caused by the net neutrality.
NEED OF THE HOUR – GUN CONTROL LAWS
Learned persons are of the opinion that America’s stand on gun control is the result of conflicts in the various cultures. It is estimated that the US has 88.8 guns for every 100 people. In fact, 22% Americans own some sort of a gun in their lifetime. The nation’s history, the roots, the frontier expansions are all responsible for the birth of this gun culture. Part of it is also encouraged by the Second Amendment stating that people have the right to possess arms, and it shall not be violated. This has served as a shield for people to posses guns.
After the school shooting tragedies of late, which has shaken the nation, the sadness and grief have turned into anger at people who support gun rights. Moreover, the political parties do nothing even after innocent children are dying. People supporting gun control argue that the second amendment was meant for military and also gun owners themselves are in favor of restrictions to be imposed on the carrying and usage of guns.
Let us see what the ruling points are, pushing for the passing of gun control laws:
- Laws Would Lead To Low Gun Deaths: Deaths due to guns have always been the highest as against death due to suicides, homicides and accidental deaths. Guns were also responsible for suicides and homicides. In the list of causes leading to deaths, arms stand at the 12th Around 200 American citizens visit the emergency room every day, with wounds from gunshots.
- Large Capacity Magazines: 50% of the total mass shooting between the years 1982 and 2012 used high capacity magazines. With these magazines, the deaths increase by 63% and injuries shoot up by 156%. Such magazines are usually used for cover up the lack of accuracy and to maximize the intended harm. When you ban these, the deaths would automatically come down.
- Better Gun Control Laws for Protection of Women Against Domestic Violence: In US, 5 women are killed with guns, each day. The risk goes up by 500% when there is a gun in the vicinity of a domestic spat.
- Guns are Hardly used in Self-Protection: It is observed that as low as 0.79% people actually used guns in their own defense.
- Criminals Steal Legal Guns: As per reports, all the guns that have been confiscated from criminals, are stolen from legal owners. During a burglary, guns are the most frequent ones that are taken away by thieves.
- Conflict Becomes Serious with a Gun: Petty arguments turn violent when there are weapons with the concerned people.
Citing these points, activists are vigorously coming out and insisting that more gun control laws be implemented and followed.
TIPS & TRICKS – SURVIVING LAW SCHOOL
It is not everyone’s cup of tea to pursue the course in a law school. You should have the flair for the analytical and logical approach to pursue the legal profession. Many students cannot make the cut even though they possess the requisite qualities. This is because they are unable to hone up the skills when they enter the law school. Therefore, the guidelines for survival on entering the law school are essential for a successful completion.
Focus your aim on the objective you have in mind. You can have an orientation on the options and how to reach the goal and the better option is to approach the Office of Career Services. Of course, their job is not to find a suitable job for you. But they are better placed in explaining to you what to do to achieve the aim.
Build up Steam for Regular Study in order to have a sustained schedule. If you feel that you can sprint when the examination schedule is announced you are wrong. It is like a marathon exercise with continued and sustained efforts right from the beginning. Nevertheless, keep the study schedule which is optimum and achievable.
*Pick up the nuances of referencing appropriately. The similar answer with all proper references would fetch impressive grading than others. The resources available at the Library would greatly help you in picking up many smart ways for your research.*
Birds of a Feather flock together- so be sure to find similar students sailing in the same boat. You should identify such a homogenous group and try to discuss the doubts or the problems with your peers for a proper understanding.
Legal Terminology or the skill of legal writing is an art, which no one is born with. In the first year itself, you should pick up the writing style using the appropriate legal terminology. The holistic sentences with the optimum density of words would ensure you are above the level of others.
It is Not Memorization, and the basic distinction you should realize is that you can’t simply memorize from the open books. The objective of the examination is to test your analytical ability to support your way of thinking. It is not a test “what you know” but “how you support your argument.”
TIPS & TRICKS – MANAGING FINANCES EFFECTIVELY
Prepare an honest budget without hesitation. When you envisage the probable expenses for a given period, you need to cut the corners somewhere to make both ends meet. If you closely track the expense pattern, you will be the best judge in identifying to prune the avoidable expenditure. With such a regular exercise, there is a possibility of saving up to 15% of your projected income. A close scrutiny of the spreadsheet will throw some scope for tweaking.
At first glance, everyone feels that they spend wisely and there no wasteful expenditure. However, think closely the expenses of buying some gadgets—be it music or gym equipment or any such things, which are hardly used. Unless the item is essential, it is not advisable to buy. You can have a simple cost analysis, and if you find that renting the item would be wise, take it on rent instead of buying the item. It does not mean that you should rent out everything. If you feel it is worth buying, go for it.
Many people think that they would save once all expenses have been met. However, a wise man thinks otherwise. First, he will save the money and manage the expenses with the remaining amount. Once you set apart for savings, you are forced to meet the expenses and the avoidable expenses vanish on their own. Do not borrow the money. If you do not have money, do not buy it. This way, you can restrict your expenses and the amount saved could be used either for an investment. Remember to have some contingency fund in order to meet the emergency expenses which were unforeseen.
Do not forget that you should have a long-term investment plan, especially for the post-retired life. In addition to the retirement plans of the employer, think of the pension fund or some other smart investment plans. It is also a good idea to opt for mid-term investments and reinvest by swapping the funds eventually to have a long-term corpus. Think of stock market plans only if you have the expertise in the industry. However, do not gamble if you are a novice in the field. Alternatively, do not hesitate to take an advice from the expert.
POISON OR PLEASURE – SOCIAL MEDIA
Social media has us comparing our lives, instead of us being thankful for who and what we are. We live in a generation where technology has has taken over our world. People struggle with insecurity because they constantly compare their “behind-the-scene” life with everyone else’s spotlight. People have indirect communication and are missing out on critical social skills. The truth is, reality is lost on social media. So many people continue to show the best version of themselves rather than the real one. People will always showcase their accomplishments, whether it be a new car, a vacation, a relationship, a new career, or a new body goal, but what you will never see are the fights, the insecurities, or their personal problems. We do not know what others go through in their daily life because we are not exposed to it. Do not sit behind a computer and judge. We have all done it at one point in our life. Someone else can be farther along in their journey than you are, and that is OK, because everyone’s life is at a different pace. Do not compare yourself to another. Just like body images, set goals and let it inspire you, not use it maliciously to have hatred and jealousy towards another and what they have accomplished. Use social media in a good way, to interact intellectually, to make connections, to be able to market, and let it allow you to grow in certain aspects you may be lacking. There will always be someone who will have more or less than you, but what they cannot have is the same purpose or commitment that you can in your own life if you stay grounded.
The last 5-6 years have seen a boom in the social ties among people. Distances between places and people have come down. You can connect to your old nursery school friend or your childhood neighbor, wherever they are. All thanks to social media networking, that people are connected with everyone and everything from the moment they wake up.
But, give it some thought. Are you heading towards the right direction or are you becoming slaves to the online life? Do you sit with your family members and have a chat with them, do you say hello to your next-door neighbor? Then how are we still connected? Humans are getting into the vacuum created by online stuff, and we are becoming ignorant towards people sitting right next to them.
Social media is turning a curse rather than a boon. Know the ill effects of social media usage before it is too late.
- As you are conversing with the whole world, you have a false sense of being connected. But more and more people are withdrawing into their shells and are only connected in a non-real, online life.
- Young people spending as less as 2 hours per day on social sites are more prone to mental illnesses like anxiety, depression, etc.
- Almost all organizations use social networking sites for various purposes. This is proving to be a great hindrance to the employees’ productive time and costing the organization in the long run. Studies show that companies lose more than 2 billion every year, just because their employees are spending more time on Facebook, Twitter rather than doing their work.
- Nowadays, people are posting publicly what exactly they are doing at any given point of time. The things they write or the photos, they post remains online permanently. Anyone can use the same facts in an inappropriate way in the future.
- Stalking an individual has existed in the society, and now it is done online too. An ex-boyfriend or spouse may harass their victim online. The online relationship that did not work might result in the stalking of the individual with the help of the information that was posted.
ARE WE LIVING IN A MULTIVERSE?
As a comic or a video game or a sci-fi movie, you are thrilled with the concept of the parallel universe. The pervasive idea in fictional representation is not a perverse concept. The grandma’s view that there exists a parallel universe and there is a replica of YOU somewhere in another universe is not without a base. The multiverse is a facet of the astronomical theory which is subject to a very vigorous debate. It might be purposeful to know how the universe is created.
As per the Big Bang theory, some 14 billion years ago, something caused the cosmos infinitesimal to expand and inflate, which caused the three-dimensional space. Consequently, the small splinter pieces formed the larger pieces of matter like the galaxies, stars, and planets. Believing this theory, we are perhaps limited in our observations since we are in a bowl which is curved and therefore, unable to see outside to confirm either existence or absence of another universe.
The theories supporting the parallel universe are many…
- Infinite Time Space – The exact shape of the space-time is unknown to us and there is a possibility that the shape is flat and the space-time goes forever. Therefore, the repetition of a universe cannot be ruled out.
- Sibling Universe – As a result of Big Bang theory, there is a possibility of the subatomic particles following the pattern of quantum mechanics. Therefore, there are large universes and our universe is only one among the many.
- Parallel Universe – As per the concept of flat space-time, the multiple universes would have the precise probabilities of 10^10^122. Therefore, cosmic patches along with the particle arrangements replicate, which suggests that there is a parallel universe. Since the above are based on the scientific assumptions, as long as they are not proved beyond doubt, there would be counter-theories too.
- Absence of Inherent Energy – The Big Bang Theory was the result of inflation of exponential energy inherent to space. Therefore, no particles are expanding beyond that period of time. The usual rate of inflation at different times makes the possibility of another universe a rare chance.
- Absence of Infinite Time – In spite of the possible values for the fundamental constants, the outcome is so fast than merely being exponential, unless, of course, inflation has been occurring for a truly infinite amount of time. Therefore, this theory reduces the chances of another parallel universe.
Anyway, as of now, the concept of the multiverse or parallel universe is a matter of a strong debate among the scientists. However, the absence of evidence cannot be the evidence of absence.
THE BASIC FACTS OF PLANNED PARENTHOOD
It is heartening that nearly half the global population is under the age of 25 years. However, the flipside of it is that many young people do not have any access to the authentic info or the methods to prevent the unplanned pregnancy. It is also an irony that more than 200 million people in the developing countries have no access to the birth control methods or other services. Unplanned pregnancy has many black spots on the health of the individual, economic, and societal effects on the family besides the burden on the State authorities.
Benefits of Planned Parenthood-
No doubt, anything that is planned has many advantages. The planned pregnancy or the parenthood is no exception. In addition to the physiological and psychological changes, the lifestyle also requires some tweaking in the schedule. The enhanced financial liability also cannot be undermined. Both the parents should be healthy enough to take care of the newcomer into the family.
Methods Postponing Parenthood-
There are umpteen effective and temporary methods to control and prevent the unplanned pregnancy.
Implant placed under the arms effectively keeps the pregnancy at bay for three years. The procedure can be reversed any time, and you can become pregnant after a week the implant is removed. In 99% of the women, this method was found to be effective.
A kind of hormonal pill taken every day will postpone the pregnancy. It is a safe and affordable pill which is effective too. The pill has other benefits as well.
- Vaginal Ring
This is another method of birth control, which is a small flexible ring inserted into the vagina. By releasing the necessary harmonies into the body the ring keeps the pregnancy postponed.
Intra-Uterine Device (IUD) is one of the long-term methods, which is simple to be inserted by a qualified person. It is a small piece of a flexible T-shaped plastic device inserted into the uterus which can be reversed too.
The thin stretchy pouch-like to be worn prior to the sexual activity. The condom not only prevents the pregnancy but also the Sexually Transmitted Diseases. There are separate condoms for both men and women
Though this method is not a preventive method for pregnancy, the childbirth is avoided in ideal situations like unwanted or forced pregnancy. In order to ensure safe health to the woman, there are legislations in support of medical termination of pregnancy up to certain weeks of gestation depending on the country. It is highly recommended that the abortion is opted only under the supervision of a health care provider to avoid complications.
In any case, no one should hesitate to discuss the details with the health worker for authentic info and for clarification on the doubts to ensure a planned parenthood.